Tuesday 23 October 2012

what is being 'too emotional'...!?!?

hey...
A few days back a friend of mine said that i was 'emotional'..and he said it in a way that implied that I wasnt supposed to be 'emotional'...! Although, he derived his much craved fun at pulling my leg and irritating me but it left me thinking a lot about what exactly people mean when they say you are emotional..!

See, I am from a medical background and I have psychology for a year in college , and from what i  understand about 'Human behavior and emotions', I believe that human behavior is a composite of various emotions that they experience. These emotions can be anger, love , gratitude , happiness or jealousy and so on.
Therefore, in my opinion expressing your emotions is an essential part of being a normal human being..! You know..that is an essential part of our 'being'...! In fact, the people who suppress their emotions either react to certain situations inappropriately or eventually end up getting professional help..

I also wonder sometimes that if we were to hide our emotions, what would life become..? No gratitude...no fights between jealous friends....no missing each other and making up after those fights......and no romantic moments...!!! I mean, it would just take away all those beautiful and real moments that really mean that we are 'alive'..!
I read somewhere and have also observed that if we keep our emotions bottled up for a long duration, those cramped up feelings will find a way out through your mouths or your actions in a much worse way than could have been in the first place... I think that would be a much more sorry state to be in...!

There are certain psychological disorders also which entail reacting to certain circumstances in life in an abnormal way , but what I referred to in the above paragraphs pointed at the usual normal circumstances.

Here is a small questionairre that you would like to go through:


  1. Do people, not only family members tell you that you are too emotional ?
  2. In an over-heated moment, do you tend to take impulsive decisions that you later on regret?
  3. Do you have many arguments and blow up easily?
  4. Do friends and relatives handle you with kid gloves?
  5. Do your emotions suck the life out of you, change easily and quickly, and generally whip you around?
  6. Do you weep and often in the absence of major setbacks or great losses? (I'm not talking about a tear or two but more gut-wrenching)


If you have answered too many of these in affirmative , you may want to seek counselling.



In the end, i would just like to add that life is challenging. But we need to be humans and empathetic and symapthetic towards our own lives and of others. Because, without that our lives would be a cold computation of everything around....

And so, I choose to be human......!!!
And, I choose to express.....!!!!

Cheers..! :)

2 comments:

Thank you for your time.. your words are appreciated...!